Support the Society
We value your support!
The Grantham Canal is a wonderful local amenity. It also attracts visitors from all over the UK and abroad – only realising a fraction of its full potential at present.
Our aim is to open the canal to full navigation, connecting Grantham once again to over 2000 miles of inland navigable waterways.
Not only will this provide economic benefits to the town and surrounding district, it will enhance the ecology of the canal and its environs throughout the Vale of Belvoir. The canal is also a very important element of our industrial heritage.
With a supportive Canal and River Trust – The Grantham Canal Society is the engine which drives the restoration.
a purely volunteer organisation – every penny raised benefits the canal
Just a few our recent achievements
- The purchase and renovation of a dredger ‘Mudlark’ and Working-Flat ‘Earwig’ both totalling approx £6,000
- The purchase & restoration of the weedcutter boat ‘Osberton’ approx £9,000
- The purchase and installation of top & bottom gates for Woolsthorpe Top Lock (18), totalling approx £57,000
- Working with our partners, the Canal and River Trust on the Heritage Lottery funded ‘Grantham Canal Heritage Initiative’ (GCHI) – restoring the Woolsthorpe Flight
- Continued training for volunteers in the many aspects of our work
- Our annual Discovery Day is now firmly on the waterway’s events calendar
We could not have done any of this without your generosity
You can be assured that, almost every minute of every day (and often half the night), someone is working for the cause!
Your membership supports our hard working volunteers
with the support of the community – we can get this job done!